Friday, May 29, 2015

Cherry Blossoms & Butterflies

My card this week is another combined Challenge:  ColorMyHeart Color Dare #144 and Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge #109, using a wax paper technique for the background.  


In my daughter's Three Amigo's Blog Hop (Paper Menagerie: Three Amigo's Blog Hop) this technique was mentioned and looking further into the technique, I found you could use an Embossment Folder and run the wax paper through the Cuttlebug and then follow the rest of the wax paper technique...so simple and elegant.  For the Embossing Folder Technique my source was Cuttlebugged Wax Paper technique Gina K Designs video from 2009.   

The Folder I chose was by Darice "Cherry Blossom Background" in A2 size.  I ran through 5 wax paper designs in the A2 size, and ironed on White Daisy Cardstock.  Sponged three of the cardstock pieces each with one of the Colors in the challenge (CTMH Inks Juniper, Ruby and Canary) and cut to the sizes needed for the Sketch Challenge and layered.  The other two cardstock pieces randomly placed all three colors for the main background to fit a 5x7 card.   I found that you don't have to be afraid to sponge on ink until you get your color, the waxed area does not absorb much of the color.  

My mind was already set to do a cluster of butterflies for the focal point,using CTMH Stamp Set C1613 "Paper Bird".  Stamped two for each color of the challenge, dry embossed using Darice "Crackle," fussy-cut, distressed each and glued butterfly with the coordinating color, adhered to card, and used liquid glass on the body and antenna's.   

To finish off the card the polka dot accent across the middle of the card was added, along with the a fussy-cut sentiment "smile" from the same Stamp Set "Paper Bird". Inside of Card, placed three stamped butterflies in each challenge color on the bottom right-hand corner.  Did I need Wink of Stella, I don't think so...liked the muted colors with no sparkle.


and May 2015 Prize Winner!  We had a wonderful amount of entries during the month of May. It's now time to announce our random Prize Winner from our May entries!  The winner is.....Sue Reynolds! - Received CTMH Mini-Medley Accents 

Please click on below to see the Design Teams inspirations of these Challenges, and join in with your papercrafting creations.   The following Challenges were entered:  





The Outlawz - Sunday CAS (May 24-May 30) - R&R "Ribbon and Red"  using Ruby Red, and Polka Dot Paper Ribbon Strip 





















10 comments:

Lisa said...

Beautiful! Love all the techniques

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. I love the layered butterflies inside.

Donna said...

Gorgeous card! What a great technique and I love all the textures on your card. Thank you for inspiring us at Color My Heart Challenge Blog.

comopark1886 said...

Ohhh... I like the wax paper/embossing folder idea! I'll have to try it!

Michelle said...

Great technique! Love how you sponged the colore, too. Thanks for joining us at Color My Heart.

Barbara-Ann said...

Beautiful. Love the soft subtle colours of this technique. Great job. Thanks for joining us this week at AHSC

Brandi said...

Love the back ground and how it subtly changes from colour to colour, wow! Thanks for playing along with Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge (AHSC)!

Brandi R
DT member AHSC
crzy4scrapbooking.blogspot.ca

Jeannie said...

What a beautiful color combination and it's just so soft and pretty and Summer-y :)

Jeannie T.

G Eileen Studios said...

Fun technique, Sue! And I love the way you added the butterflies on the inside of the card. Thanks for taking the Color Dare!

Melanie R said...

I was sure I had commented but I guess not... I really think this is clever because of the added texture on the wings. Your background technique is fabulous and the colors are so pretty. Great card!